[ View more posts from the The Count Me In Wall ]

Posted by: Sophie   |   11/2/2012   |  

Amandas Birth Story

Amanda's Birth Story


Click here to see and share this photo from Sophie on The Count Me In Wall!


Personal Tags: Ergobaby Birth Story Series

I went to the hospital monday morning because my water broke. I was scared. Only being at 33 weeks it was way too early to meet my little guy. They gave me drugs to stop the labor, and then I waited. For 5 days I could do nothing but lay in the hospital bed waiting.
I started having mild contractions saturday at 1 am, they were 5 minutes apart. By 7:30 they were 3 minutes apart and getting pretty intense. An hour later I was seriously reconsidering my "go natural" approach. Daddy was amazing and said "oh no, you can't change your mind now!! You said no drugs!" So I went back to breathing and waiting for the midwife to get to the hospital. She arrived between 9-9:30 and checked me. She said, "no drugs, you're there! You're at a 9!"
That was enough motivation for me and I found a nice breathing pattern. She moved me into a few different positions to help move him down. Daddy rubbed my back and hummed songs & kept me focused and breathing. It went surprisingly fast. And really, it wasn't as painful as I expected. Soon, contractions seemed to stop and in their place was intense lower back pain that radiated to my hips. Time to push. Which also, amazing to me, felt better than doing nothing. After 7 or so good pushes he was half way there, but his heart rate was decelerating a bit & she said if I couldn't do it soon she'd have to episiotomy me. That got me to going & a few more pushes and he was here! They put him on my belly while Daddy cut the cord, but then they had to put him in a warmer and give him oxygen. Daddy followed him to the NICU while I got cleaned up. A half hour later I got to go see him too. He was 4 lbs 5 oz. 18.5 inches long. His head was only 12"
They had him on room air c-pap machine just to give him some pressure to make sure his lungs stayed open. He also has an IV, because his cell count was up he will have it a week. He had a little tube in his throat for feeding and to remove air from his belly, but he spit it out twice, then pulled it out once....so they moved it to his nose.
Sunday morning they took him off the c-pap and put a little nasal cannula on....which was great because now we can see all of his little face! I had a baby shower from 5-8ish. Around 10 we went in to see him and he had no oxygen at all! They don't know when he did it...but he pulled off the cannula. His saturation levels stayed at 100, so no alarms went off. He seems much happier without the tubes! He made it all night with no oxygen issues. He also is digesting all the milk I've been pumping, afger an hour I got to attempt nursing him for the first time!
He is such an amazing, strong little baby. Much stronger than I ever expected him to be considering he was 6 weeks early. He stayed in the hospital a total of 13 days, which was amazing since they told me to not expect him home for 4-6 weeks. It was scary bringing a 4lb 10oz baby home, but as soon as we got there it was like he'd always been here. I can't imagine my life with out him. Every day he gets stronger and I watch him learn new things. I'm thankful for the midwife who let me have my natural, drug free birth even though I was high risk. I think had I used drugs his system would have been depressed and he wouldn't have been so strong and gotten out of the hospital as quickly as he did. I also feel skin to skin time and me nursing him every 3 hours around the clock helped him be strong too.