[ View more posts from the The Count Me In Wall ]

Posted by: EMC   |   11/16/2012   |  

Olivias Birth Story

Olivia's Birth Story


Click here to see and share this photo from EMC on The Count Me In Wall!


Personal Tags: Ergobaby Birth Story Series

My birth experience was amazing. At about 34 weeks I decided that I wanted a natural birth, and I am so glad that I made the choice. I know natural birth is not for everyone, and it is not even a possibility for many people, but I wanted to have my dear daughter as naturally as possibly in a hospital setting. When I first told my wonderful partner Christina that I wanted to have a natural delivery she laughed at me because she thought there was no way I would be able to handle the pain, but after much conversation she saw that I really thought I could handle the pain as long as I knew I was getting ³the prize in the cereal box² at the end. Once we had decided that natural was the way we were going to go, we hired a wonderful doula and came up with our birth plan (did that even make it to the hospital?). Our birth plan included laboring at home for as long as possible, walking around as much as possible, and Christina cutting the cord.
On the night of March 10, 2011, I arrived home after a very busy day of work and our final baby shower. I was tired and my back hurt, so before going to bed I called Margie, our doula, and told her that I was in some discomfort. She told me to take a Benadryl and get some sleep. I took her advice and took half a Benadryl, took a hot shower, and put a hot water bag on my back and went to sleep around 11:300pm. I never take medication, so I was knocked out. An hour or so later I woke up to a lot of water. I thought that the hot water bottle had spilled, but no, my water had broken in bed. I was convinced that no one¹s water actually breaks in bed, so Christina was so relieved that she had had the foresight to put an extra mattress protector on the bed. Once my water had broken, we called the OB and she wanted us to head into the hospital (so much for laboring at home as long as possible). So, we haphazardly loaded the car for the 20-minute drive. As we were driving in I called my parents to let them know what was going on, and I realized my contracts were coming every couple of minutes. When we arrived at the hospital at 1:24am we walked up to the L+D floor and were immediately shown to a room (the last walking I did). As Christina left to park the car, if I was still only 1cm dilated, I needed an epidural right away.
The nurse came in to see how dilated I was, and I was very relieved to find out that I was 5cm and 100% effaced. It was now time to call in Margie and the OB. Margie arrived at the hospital at 1:45am and by 2:20am I was 7cm. The contractions were intense, but I was receiving spectacular support, and I was ready to meet our little girl. In between contractions we decided that we wanted Christina to catch the baby as long as everything was going well. I went from 7cm to 10 cm in a little under an hours and was ready to start pushing by 3:20am. Pushing was hard work, and my little one¹s enormous head did not make it any easier. I ended up pushing for a little over three hours. During which time I repeatedly asked to nap and was repeatedly told I was not allowed to nap. I was also told countless time ³she has so much hair², but I guess there is only so much you can say if all you can see is the top of a baby¹s head for hours. At 6:47am Christina caught our beautiful daughter and cut her cord. Our baby girl was 7lbs. 13 oz. and 20 inches long when she was born. She had a rough first five minutes in the world, so I did not get to hold her immediately as I had wanted to, but she was given amazing care. I was able to hold her for a few minutes before she was taken to the NICU for observation. We were back as a family by 11:00am, and she was latched on like a pro by 4:00pm.
While I was delivering our daughter, many other things were going on in the world including the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I feel very fortunate to have brought a life into the world the morning of March 11, 2011.