[ View more posts from the The Count Me In Wall ]

Posted by: Sophie   |   11/1/2012   |  

Rebekah Grace’s Birth Story

I woke up on Father's Day (6/17) morning and made breakfast for my husband, I had some contractions that were actually painful, but not horrible. We went to church and ran some errands. My husband went to work about 2 pm and my older kids and I went over to my parents’ house. I continued to have contractions all day, but only like 3-4 an hour.

After dinner they started to pick up. I started timing the contractions about 8:00 pm and they were 2 - 4 minutes apart and 30 - 50 seconds long. I called my husband to come get me and he made arrangements for my mother in law to come get the kids. We went to the hospital about 9 pm and I was only at 2.5 cm so they told me they wanted me to walk for an hour, but baby wasn't active enough so they kept me in this tiny little triage room, in bed, for over an hour and a half. The contractions were picking up and it was very uncomfortable to stay lying down in bed… I finally got up to go walk and only walked about 10-20 minutes before I was really struggling to breathe through the contractions, which were coming very close together... so we came back and they checked me and said I was a 3 and they'd admit me.

By the time I got into an actual labor room it was about 11:30/just before midnight and I was ready for pain meds. (I really wanted to try and go natural as long as possible to avoid pitocin and difficulty pushing I had with my epi last time, especially as I'm VBAC) They had to call IV therapy to get the IV in to get me the meds. It helped a bit but I asked for the epidural. By this time I was shaking so badly my teeth were chattering They kept asking me if I was cold, which I wasn’t, just couldn’t stop shaking. I also felt like I was going to throw up during the peak of the contractions. They checked me just before the epi went in and said that I was about a 4.5 but she couldn't be sure because the bag of waters was bulging. I felt like I had to pee but couldn't so I guess it was the pressure from the water, I asked if they'd break it but the on call Dr said no. My husband and my mom were with me and did a great job keeping me calm and reminding me to breathe through the contractions. I was really starting to loose it before the epidural came... then it took 20 minutes to kick in, which was very difficult. They checked me again once I was comfortable and my water broke (with lots of meconium in the fluid) and I was at a 10. Thinking back on it I’m sure I was actually in transition when they checked me before the epidural, they just couldn’t tell because of the bag of waters). After that I couldn't feel pain from the contractions but intense pressure and the Dr couldn't get there fast enough. I waited about 10 minutes for the OB then I pushed maybe 5 times and she came out. (Apparently there was a lot of fluid behind the baby, so as her head came out the doctor got a ton of nasty meconium fluid in the face, the nurses were laughing about that afterwards because he forgot to put on his mask). She was born at 1:37 am on her brother's 5th birthday…

She had the cord around her neck, she came out grey and limp... it was the scariest moments of my life... I kept asking if she was ok and no one was answering me, which made me even more scared. After a few minutes she finally started crying and they told me it was a girl… they let me hold her for a minute then took her to the NICU because her breathing was still labored and rattling. It was so difficult to watch them take her away from me and not knowing if she was going to be ok. As they were taking her out of the room the song “Amazing Grace” came on the radio (my husband had turned on the Christian station earlier, but this was the first time things were calm enough for any of us to even notice it). We had been debating potential girl middle names of Grace and Lynn and my husband just said, ok, her middle name is Grace for sure.

She weighed 5 lbs 6 oz, 19 inches long and spent the first 18 hours in the NICU, but since then is doing perfectly. Overall it was definitely my easiest labor and delivery; it went quickly and would have been perfect if she hadn’t needed so much help at first.


Click here to see and share this text from Sophie on The Count Me In Wall!


Personal Tags: Ergobaby Birth Story Series